When it comes to feeling (and seeing) the results from our health efforts, it can be hard to wait. You’re not alone if you want a little immediate gratification. Try one, or all 5, of these healthy hacks to help feel your best THIS week.
1. Plan and make your breakfasts for the entire week. Check out these 12 ideas.
2. Stretch or foam roll while watching T.V. The best way to start a new habit is to associate it with a habit you already have. Since many of us enjoy our favorite T.V. shows at night, use that time to stretch or foam roll (even if it’s just during commercials).
3. Put a full glass of water next to your bed at night. And drink it before getting up in the morning. With up to 75% percent of us dehydrated (1) and since we’re most dehydrated after a night’s sleep (2), drinking a glass of water first thing in the A.M. is a great way to start the day.
4. Set a “move” reminder on your phone or calendar. Sitting for long periods of time can physiologically affect your muscles and metabolism (3). And not for the better. Gretchen Reynolds, NYtimes Well columnist and The First 20 Minutes author, suggests standing up every 20 minutes for 2 minutes. Try setting an alarm on your phone to go off every 20 minutes during long work stints. Check out her interview for more on how sitting affects your body.
5. Try a new healthy recipe. Take some time to scroll through the recipes we have shared on the BCSF blog, dust off your favorite cookbook or find a new food website you like. Pick ONE new recipe to try. Just like one unhealthy meal can make us feel like we’ve fallen off track, one healthy meal can make us feel inspired to eat well all week.
And of course head out and join your BCSF class for a workout! Nothing like a good sweat and workout with your friends to make you feel accomplished for the day.