If you’re a pancake fan (who isn’t?) then you’ll love this healthy recipe for cottage cheese pancakes.
Here’s 5 reasons why we think this recipe beats traditional pancakes.
- You can make them in the blender. Blend, pour, done.
- 18 grams of protein per serving (without the jam) and about 22g with it included.
- Gluten Free. Use a blender or food processor and oats to make the “flour”.
- No added sugars, only a banana to sweeten.
- Simple, staple ingredients mean you can whip these up on a random Sunday morning without a special trip to the store. (But this recipe is so easy to make and kid-friendly that we think these would make a great Mother’s Day breakfast in bed treat)
Plus, they taste delicious.
Cottage Cheese Pancakes (serves 2)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (almond, coconut, regular)
- Coconut oil to cook with
- Make blueberry chia jam (recipe below). While it sits, make the pancakes.
- Pulse oats in a food processor or blender until a fine flour forms
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet
- Once hot, pour a small amount of batter into pan to create pancakes of desired size
- When edges begin to bubble, flip and cook until both sides brown
- Place in a warm oven until all pancakes are finished
- Serve with chia seed jam (recipe below) and enjoy
Blueberry Chia Jam (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbs. Chia seeds
- In a small saucepan heat blueberries, syrup and vanilla for 5-8 minutes, until a liquid syrup has formed.
- Remove from heat and add chia seeds.
- Stir well to mix. Let sit for at least 5 minutes (and up to overnight) to allow seeds to expand and absorb liquid. Continue to stir and mix every couple minutes.
- Note: Store extra in glass container. Will last up to 2 weeks in fridge.
Resources: Nutrition info calculated from myfitnesspal.com
Recipe modified from ambitiouskitchen.com